Topic: How can we reduce plastic pollution at home?

How can we reduce plastic pollution at home?

Forum Family House How can we reduce plastic pollution at home?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SuperDad .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • I have 3 kids and I’m also really busy. I want to try and reduce any part we play in plastic pollution. I do not always have time to run after the kids or go through my garbage with a fine tooth comb.

I hate to say it, but I am sure at some level, my household is responsible for sending things to the landfill which should not belong there. Any ideas on what I can do?

One thing you can try to do is to reduce the amount of plastics that your household uses. I get that you do not have a lot of time. No one can appreciate that more. However, if you don’t make the time, then this is a problem that won’t stop, right?

I know. I agree, but there are days I just cannot cope. The kids never listen. They nod, then they go ahead and do the opposite. Some days, I try to rectify it. Other days, I just give up and throw it all out. Seems easier.

I know. I am not knocking you. You can only try your best, which is what you are doing. Keep at it and give it time. The good changes you want will surely come.

You can make little changes though. Instead of buying cases of plastic water bottles, you could get a filter for the faucet. That will reduce a lot of plastic bottles.

Have your kids fill up reusable bottles. In a year, you could reduce well over a thousand plastic bottles. That in itself would be a major change.

Whenever you buy any food that come in plastic containers, reuse them instead of throwing them out. You don’t have to buy any Tupperware or other containers. Just keep reusing these containers. Find other uses for them too.

You could try purchasing in bulk. This way, you can reduce plastic wrappers. At the same time, it can save you some money. But buy smart, otherwise you will end up with repackaged, single-use items. You’ll end up with more waste which goes against what you are trying to do.

I have a suggestion, but it will require you to invest some money. Why don’t you get yourself some good recycling bins for your home? Some of these are actually very attractive.

You may have seen these in office buildings downtown. They can even be part of your decor and look really cool. You can get one with just a single stream for placing specific things in there. You can then place another elsewhere, perhaps upstairs or in the basement.

I know Waste Wise Products Inc. has a lot of these kinds of recycling bins. You could get one that has 3 or 4 streams in one convenient place. Try to get your kids into the habit of using it properly.

If you use one single garbage receptacle, the kids will throw everything in it. Label it so they know what goes where. Then you don’t have to stick your hand in one garbage bin and rummage around to rectify any wrongdoings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.