Topic: I have arthritis. Can physiotherapy help me?

I have arthritis. Can physiotherapy help me?

Forum Family Health I have arthritis. Can physiotherapy help me?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FunnySteve .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • My doctor told me I’m starting to develop arthritis in my ankles. I thought that was odd, because I was sure arthritis was only for old people, you know, but he told me many of his young patients had it as well.

He prescribed me some painkillers made for arthritic pain, but I’m wondering if there’s something else I could do. I was thinking that maybe I should see a physiotherapist, I know they can help deal with sports injuries… but what about arthritis?

I’m pretty sure physiotherapy would be good for you, yeah. And you should see a physiotherapist as soon as you can, because I think the longer you wait, the worse your arthritis will be.

Ok, that’s good to know. I definitely don’t want this to get worse, it’s bad enough as it is.

Ben

Physiotherapy is good to help relieve arthritic pain, yes.

If you see a physiotherapist, they will help you understand arthritis and what it’s doing to your body, and they will equip you with ways to relieve and manage your pain. They can use massage therapy and acupuncture to help you feel better, and they will recommend you some exercises, and heat or ice packs.

Ok, that sounds good.

But what about the exercises? It is something you have to do at home, in between appointments with your physiotherapist I guess?

Ben

Yes, exactly. Your physiotherapist will give you exercises to do at home, to reduce your pain, and maybe eventually make it go away. Well, I’m not sure arthritis can disappear completely, but physiotherapy can definitely improve your condition.

And heat packs and cold packs are good to relieve pain, and to reduce inflammation. Because that’s what arthritis is, inflammation in your joints.

Ok, that’s good to know. Thank you!

Have you been to a physiotherapist yourself?

Ben

Yes, about a year ago. I had some crazy shoulder pain, and physiotherapy did me a lot of good. Now I’m much better.

I’m glad you are! I guess I’ll go ahead and search for physiotherapy clinics in my city.

I like how you say you thought arthritis was only for old people! My friend told me he had arthritis in his hands, and I didn’t believe him, I thought he was joking… But he kept insisting, and he explained to me what arthritis is exactly and why anyone can have it.

But yeah, it’s bad, but I guess physiotherapy can help you feel better, less pain.

I think I found the right clinic! It’s called Bramalea Chiropractic, and it’s close to the place where I work. They offer physiotherapy and a lot of other services, so I’m sure they’ll be able to do something for my painful ankles.

I’ll book an appointment, but I don’t know if it can be covered by my insurance? Anyway, I guess I’ll be able to ask them during the appointment, and get all the information I need.

For now I’m feeling ok when I take the painkillers I got, but I just don’t want to take pills forever… I hope I’ll be ok with exercise and massages, and everything the physiotherapist will be able to do for me.

Yeah, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Doing the exercises recommended by a physiotherapist takes some commitment, more than just taking a pill… But if you do the exercises everyday, and follow their advice, you’ll surely see great results and your situation will improve.

That sounds good! I’m committed already.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.