Topic: I’m confused about how DNA tests actually work.

I’m confused about how DNA tests actually work.

Forum Family Life I’m confused about how DNA tests actually work.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PhotoPan .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • I notice a lot of information floating out there regarding DNA tests, genetics and all other things connected to this topic.

I am no longer sure what’s real anymore. It can be hard to separate the facts from the myths.

Yes, it can be confusing. I too have found some of it confusing and perhaps a little surprising. I have come across things that I thought were true, then found out it wasn’t!

For example, I always thought that if my sibling took a DNA test, then I need not do so. After all, I will pretty much know the results, right? Wrong! This is one of those myths that seems to never die. However, you can see why. I guess this is what adds to the confusion. Sometimes, it just does not make sense.

But here’s the thing. We get half our DNA from one parent and half from the other. If you understand this, then perhaps you can see why siblings can have differing results, not the same. So, the funny thing is, if your sister took a test, she may show that she is part Portuguese while you may not. Remember, you have the same parents. It can be a little perplexing!

Hahaha, what a fun story!

Some people think that only a blood sample will work. Of course you will have good results with blood. However, you can also give saliva.

People who are afraid of needles and don’t know the facts may keep away from doing a test. Many of these DNA test kits, like those from CRI Genetics only requires saliva. You can even use a swab and swab the inside of your mouth. That’s it!

If you are interested, you do not even have to go anywhere. All you need to do is contact one of these places and ask them to send you a test kit. Of course, there is a fee. However, there are simple instructions and you can do the test in the privacy of your home or room. Then send it off.

People may think that a DNA test may be inaccurate, but this is not always true. As long as you do the test properly and according to instructions, it should be accurate.

You need to do the initial part of the test properly. Then, the actual test is done in a strict laboratory setting. You should more or less have a good and complete result of your ancestry.

Don’t worry; you are not the only one confused by this subject. It can be overwhelming and bring shocking results.

One enduring myth is that only men can take DNA tests. This is not entirely true. There are different types of DNA and different tests. A Y-chromosome test can only be taken by men, so, this part is true. However, both men and women have mitochondrial DNA.

So, if a woman wants to find out more about her maternal line, she can take this test. However, she cannot do a Y-chromosome test. For this, she will require a direct male member of her family to do the test for her.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.