Topic: What to look for in a retirement home?

What to look for in a retirement home?

Forum Family Life What to look for in a retirement home?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LucyGoose .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • My sister and I have been discussing a retirement home for my dad. He has also been part of the discussions. As this is not something anyone really does a lot, we don’t have much experience. We live in Surrey, British Columbia. Any pointers regarding what to look for in a retirement home?

I have been living in a retirement home for the past couple of years. I have been through these searches with my own family. About 2 years ago, I finally moved to a wonderful place called Pacifica Retirement Residence. It is in Surrey, so that’s a good thing for you!

It’s close to White Rock Beach. There are also some great shops and restaurants not far away. Sometimes, I go with family, other times I go with friends. I love it. This is a really nice place and I would suggest you try your best to get your dad in here. There may be a waiting list, but hopefully, it will work out.

The Peace Arch News readers voted Pacifica the best retirement community around 2 years ago. As you can see, this is a good place and I am lucky to be here. Good luck to your family and may god bless you.

I don’t know about a specific retirement home per se, but you can do a fair amount of research online. This is not something you want to do in a rush. Take your time and look for a good place for your father.

I would suggest you come up with a list of several places. Then, look into things like reputation, how long they have been in business and things like that. I would even make phone calls to them. This way, you can get a feel for a place. See what kind of customer service you get. Are they helpful? Abrupt? Rude? Polite?

Look at what your dad needs too. What is important to him? Is he outgoing? Is he into fitness? Does he like watching sports? Do you see how this could take time? It can be a long process, so don’t rush it.

Does your father need help or is he independent? Can you visit him frequently? Think of important things to him, but also to you.

Apart from researching, I think whenever possible, you should go to these places. Speak to them face to face. Get a feel for the environment. You can also look at staff and how they work/act. This will help you rule out one or two places. Ask the manager about what is and isn’t included in monthly fees.

It also gives you a chance to look at other things when you visit. Is the place clean? Is there security? Does the surrounding area look pleasant? When you visit a place, it can help you to knock off one or two places that don’t impress you. Then your final choice becomes somewhat easier.

I would suggest taking your dad along to these places. Let him get a feel for it. Perhaps he may like one place more. Does your father know anyone who is living in any of these homes? Maybe he could try contacting them for advice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.