Topic: Worried about hair loss!!!

Worried about hair loss!!!

Forum Family Health Worried about hair loss!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Trombone .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • I am a male in my mid-20s and I am concerned about losing my hair. My father and his father are both bald. My mother’s hair seems to be thinning.

I have a full head of hair but a buddy made a remark about my hair. I actually thought my hair was looking less thick already. Then he made a remark. I started looking at some older photos and it looks like I am thinning. I am worried now. Is this a gene you inherit or something? Can I stop it somehow?

I don’t know if you can stop going bald. I have heard that there are a few things that can slow it down. I also read that there is something called Rogaine that can re-grow lost hair. I would suggest seeing someone if you are worried, to get the best help.

I vaguely recall reading on some website that there is a DNA test which can tell if you have the baldness gene or something to that effect. It was on one of those websites like ancestry or 123 or 23 or something, I cannot remember (sorry).

Apparently, there is some test to take that can show if you’ve got the gene. My cousin actually used a DNA test site called CRI Genetics for something else. Maybe you can contact them and ask them about it?

When it comes to male pattern baldness, it can be one of the strangest and most difficult things to understand. Who knows what’s fact and what’s fiction? A lot of tales circulate and the line between truth and fiction…well, you know what I’m saying.

For example, I heard that it is passed from the mother to the son. I have also heard that it is from the male side. I heard that it can skip a generation. Who knows?

In my own family, my father’s father was bald. My father wasn’t. I have a younger brother who is balding, yet I have a full head of hair, for now anyway. I would suggest contacting one of those DNA testing places and get to the bottom of it. Best to find out from someone in the industry rather than speculating.

Yeah, I know. There is so much information out there, but who knows what’s true and what is not.

One thing I am pretty sure of though, and you probably aren’t going to like it, is that if you do have that gene, you will go bald. I think if you are genetically predisposed, then there is pretty much nothing you can do about it.

However, you can try stuff to slow it down. I too have heard of Rogaine. I believe it is a lifelong drug though. If you stop using it, whatever you have (or grew back) will fall out. You cannot stop using it.

I do believe you can find out more from a DNA test. I don’t know how much it costs. I believe you can inherit this from either side of your family. There’s no point for me to take the test. Alas, for me, it is too late!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.